THE IRRATIONAL BEHAVIOR OF PEOPLE IN THE STOCK MARKET
It is ironical that intelligent, well educated people succeed in the real world but behave very irrationally in the stock market. These are some of my observations of their mad behavior.
- In Supermarket We Rush to buy more when there is a sale or price crash. But when there is a Sale in the Stock Market Crash we are afraid to buy – but shun those bargain stocks instead.
See: 1 Kg Anlene Milk Powder sells for Rm36 a bag. Now there is an offer at Rm29.00. Almost 20% discount? We load up more. And if Anlene crashed to Rm19.90 (45% off) WOW! Time to buy even more!
Now take a look at Stock “X”. Price crashed Rm20%? Time to buy some? And price crashed by 45%? Oh No! In fear we didn’t buy more but sell out in a time of panic! If you have done your homework well and are sure that the Stock you picked is sound and solid, why panic? Just buy more!
2. In Real Life When We Buy A Car We Will Test Drive It. Check out its engine, its interior and the ride. Same goes for the house or anything that we fancy. We examine them personally & carefully before making a purchase.
In the Stock Market man behaves irrationally. Just at the mention of a hot tip we plonk thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars into a “hot stock” without bothering to check out the nature of the company ourselves.
3. In Real Life We Learn Maths/Science from our teachers. We learn driving from Driving Instructors. We learn swimming or diving from Swimming Coaches. You see, we seek out experts in their field and learn from them. Sometimes paying high fees to acquire skill and real knowledge.
In the Stock Market? They say the Stock Exchange is the only place in the world where tycoons who arrive in Rolls Royce listen to stock tips from shoe shine boys or those who came to work by the subway. This foolish behavior is daily found in the stock market and also among many in Investlah Forum & also in i3 Investors Forum
4. When we buy a house we don’t pick up the phone and check with the Real Estate agent about the status of the house price morning , afternoon and evening. Do we? However, when people buy the share of a company he phone his stock broker all the time – morning, afternoon and at night. This irrational behavior is compulsive and real. Think if someone checking about his house price all the time? No. He buys a house and let that be a long term investment. No so for the irrational guy in the Stock Market. He is irrational and itchy in behavior and cannot sit still.
5. In real life we know that we can easily run on flat ground, we can still jog up hill slope (though harder now) and we have to crawl up near mountain summit at the very top. Running on flat land is quite effortless. We all like that. Climbing up hill slope? Ok once a while. Crawling on our knees on all four near mountain peak? That’s strenuous exercise. Few really want to do that.
Now look at a growth value stock like Oka when it was 35 cts or Ajiya when it was Rm1.00. They grew pretty well year after year by 20% to 30%. So can buy? Now look at Blue Chip like Nestle or Dutch Lady at their lofty peaks – squeezing out a growth of only 3% to 4%. When buy blue chips at their loftiest peak with little room for further growth?
Why avoid buying Value Growth Stock? This is not rational at all.
6. In The Real World We Buy Stuff When They Are Priced Sensibly. Like buying a cheap P. Axia at Rm25,000?
Now if the car price increases by Rm1,000? So P. Axia now Rm26,000. Can buy? Yes, why not ? Rm1,000 increase only. Now see if P. Axia price going up by a whopping 200%? P. Axia at Rm75,000? Immediately sales crashed to near zero. At Rm75,000 THERE ARE MUCH BETTER BUYS OUT THERE! P. Exora at Rm65,000 or P. Alza at only Rm55,000. Both are much better cars than P. Axia. So why still go buying any more P. Axia.
Let us apply this to stocks. Latitude, Li Hen, VS, Airasia, Triple C and many other high flying hot hot stocks – ALREADY UP BY 200% to 300%. Why experts still come out to tell people to chase after them? ISN’T THIS IRRATIONAL MADNESS?
Only thing is.
In The Real World We SEE through Correct & Rational Perspective. In the Stock Market We are Irrationally Carried Away By Our Greed with Distorted Vision.
7. Every Thinking Man or Woman knows that gambling in the casino is a losing proposition – so they avoid gambling.
36 numbers for you to choose. If you are lucky and strike – the pay out is 1 = 30. Want to be 100% sure you will strike? Then just buy all – no 1, no 2 all the way to no 36. Sure win mah?
So you buy 36 numbers at Rm1 each. The pay out is Rm30 for the number you are spot on. So what? you have just lost Rm6 in the first round. That’s a lost of 16% of your capital!! Repeat that 16% loss in the 2nd, 3rd round and more?
You are guaranteed to lose. So you avoid gambling? Good. You can think rationally.
Now apply this to the Stock Market. You think you can win by contra or short term punting? The law of statistics are stacked against you. Every time you buy or sell you are also paying a fee like the 16% in a casino. After the trading fees are much lower than the casino. So what? Since you are addicted to Bursa and the Stock Market you will still pay by more frequent dabbling in shares. SEE – that’s how 80% of the people will finally end up losing money in the Stock Market. Why then are so many so IRRATIONAL? Aha! Many will end up as poor as a RAT! Are you one?
To be continued…
By Calvin Tan Research
- TAANN (5012) 10 YEARS PRICES (LOWEST & HIGHEST PRICES) EPS & DIVIDENDS FROM 2005 to 2015, From STOCK PERFORMANCE GUIDE Calvin Tan September 10, 2021
- SARAWAK OIL PALM (5126) Why is it in Calvin Tan Research’s Investment Radar? Top 5 Factors You Should Know About SOP Great Potential September 9, 2021
- TSH (9059) TSH now stands for “TELLING SECRET HAPPPILY” What Secrets? Lots of hidden potential, Calvin Tan Research May 21, 2021
- THPLANT (5112) A Look at its Grossly Undervalue Assets & Increasingly Bright Prospects, Calvin Tan Research April 21, 2021
- GREAT SUCESSFUL INVESTMENTS YEAR 2019: OGSE BULL RUN THEME; 2020 MEDICAL GLOVE SUPERBULL THEME: 2021 IS PALM OIL CPO BULL RUN THEME December 31, 2020
- LOOKS LIKE PALM OIL GOING INTO A BULL TREND DUE TO LA LINA AGAIN IN 2020/21 November 24, 2020
- AFTER MEDICAL GLOVE BULL RUN THE NEXT UPCOMING BULL THEME IS PALM OIL November 1, 2020
- 1993 WAS ASIAN TIGER BULLRUN, 2020 IS HEALTH CARE BULL RUN BY COVID 19, GLOVE, FACEMASK & NOW SANITIZER IN NYLEX & ANCOM, Calvin Tan Research May 14, 2020
- PROLEXUS (8966) ProXmask: The ProActive High Quality FACE MASK product of Prolexus that excels , Calvin Tan Research May 6, 2020
- MTAG (0213) MTAG (0231) ANOTHER GLOVES, FACE MASKS & RESPIRATORS DISTRIBUTORS, Calvin Tan Research April 27, 2020
- QUESTION & ANSWERS FOR LUXCHEM April 17, 2020
- PM’s speech on Prihatin Economic Stimulus Package (NFCP FIBERISATION IS ON!!) Calvin Tan Research March 29, 2020
- NETX (0020) INSATIABLE BUYING BY NETX STAFF SHOWS IMMENSE POTENTIAL February 14, 2020
- T7 GLOBAL VERSUS CARIMIN, , UZMA, PENERGY, & DAYANG (Compare & Contrast) Calvin Tan Research January 17, 2020
- TELEKOM TENDERS: SOME POSSIBLE WINNERS, Calvin Tan Research December 29, 2019
- BUY NETX, OPCOM, REDTONE & CMSB (SACOFA) FOR MULTI YEARS BULL RUN IN NFCP STOCKS SOON, Calvin Tan Research November 27, 2019
- T7 WINNING SUBSEA JOBS WILL BE ANOTHER PENERGY FOR TOPSIDE November 22, 2019
- NAIM FIRED UP ON ALL 4 ENGINES BUT CMSB(2852) HAS 7 SEVEN ENGINES OF GROWTH, Calvin Tan Research 22 Nov November 22, 2019
- TOP 10 REASONS WHY NETX IS NOW THE BEST BUY FOR NFCP JUST AS VELESTO WAS FOR OGSE November 17, 2019
- TOP UNDERVALUE SHARES TO BUY NOW FOR 2020 BULL RUN TIME November 16, 2019
- CMSB (2852) OWNER OF KENANGA INVESTMENT BANK , CEMENT MONOPOLY, FIBER OPTIC TOWER MONOPOLY IN SARAWAK November 12, 2019
- THIS IS NOW THE BEST TIME TO DEPLOY MONEY FULLY INTO THE COMING BULL YEAR OF 2020, Calvin Tan Research November 11, 2019
- PLEASE WHATASPP CALVIN TAN AT 019-3384010 Or 014-6101668 FOR NEXT POST November 9, 2019
- NETX MISSION STATEMENT November 9, 2019
- NETX IN CHUN CHUN INTO e-KYC October 30, 2019
- SELL UZMA. SELL CARIMIN. BUY OPCOM, REDTONE, NETX & OTHERS October 28, 2019
- 9th M’sia Plan Top Budget Allocation For Infrar Powered Up Cement So 12 MP For NFCP Powers up Opcom, Redtone & Netx, Calvin Tan October 27, 2019
- WHY IS ASIABIO BUYING ONLY NETX AND NOT DGB, MLAB, XOX, VSOLAR FINTEC & OTHERS? Calvin Tan Research October 26, 2019
- ASIAOBIO BOSS BUYING SO MUCH NETX OVER ALL OTHERS SHOW GREAT POTENTIAL, Calvin Tan Research October 26, 2019
- DIRECTORS/INSIDERS STRONG BUYING SHOWS NFCP BULL RUN VERY SOON, Calvin Tan Research October 21, 2019
- MUI PROPERTY (3913) HIGH VALUE STOCK WITH POWERFUL GROWTH CATALYST, Calvin Tan Research October 18, 2019
- TOP 10 REASONS TO BUY REDTONE (0032) BENEFICIARY OF NFCP OR NATIONWIDE FIBERISATION, Calvin Tan Research October 2, 2019
- NETX HAS A 70/30 FIGHTING CHANCE TO SURVIVE AND DO WELL IN THE DIGITAL ECONOMY, Calvin Tan Research September 25, 2019
- SCOMIES, OPCOM & NETX September 23, 2019
- SCOMI ENERGY (7045) THE HIDDEN GEM IN O&G BULL RUN September 19, 2019
- OPCOM (0035) OPTIMAL OPTIC COMPANY : THE SUPER-STOCK OF THE DIGITAL ECONOMY, Calvin Tan Research September 16, 2019
- BUY UZMA (7250) AT 62 SEN. TARGET PRICE RM1.20 August 12, 2019
- BUY TA ENTERPRIZE FOR ITS 4.1 SEN DIVIDEND (ABOUT 6% YIELD WHICH IS TWICE THAT OF BANK FD RATE) June 15, 2019
- LAFARGE CEMENT UP 100% FROM RM2.25 TO RM4.50 TODAY. TIME TO BUY MASTEEL (5098) AS IT IS A LAGGARD June 14, 2019
- TESTIMONY OF YTL TO THE POWER OF PROVIDENCE June 8, 2019
- DOLOMITE(5835) UP 143% DUE TO ASSET SALE WILL ASB(1481) GO UP LIKEWISE BY ASSET SALE? June 7, 2019
- INVESTMENT NEWS FOR JUNE 2019 BY EAGLE VISION June 6, 2019
- A LOOK AT PETRONAS LATEST GOOD QUARTER RESULT OF 9% EARNINGS GROWTH, Calvin Tan Research June 1, 2019
- OIL & GAS BULL PAUSE. AFTER THIS POOR QUARTER RESULT DUE TO MONSOON O&G BULL RUN WILL RESUME, Calvin Tan Research May 26, 2019
- UZMA (7250) UTTERLY ZEALOUS MASTERING ALL. THE OnG LAGGARD WITH BEST POTENTIAL, Calvin Tan Research May 10, 2019
- (PART ONE) KUMPULAN PERANGSANG SELANGOR (5843) KUMPULAN PROACTIVELY SUPERCHARGED, Calvin Tan Research April 25, 2019
- THESE FIVE STOCKS MIGHT BENEFIT FROM ECRL SOUTH: Mui Prop, AsiaPac, MKH, L&G & Olympia, Calvin Tan Research April 17, 2019
- MKH (6114) METRO KAJANG WILL BENEFIT FROM ECRL REROUTE TO BANGI/KAJANG, Calvin Tan Research April 15, 2019
- IMAGO MALL OF ASIAPAC (4057) ECRL SIGNING WILL BRING BACK CHINA TOURISTS, Calvin Tan April 15, 2019
- ASIAPAC (4057) THREE CHUN CHUN BULL TARGETS FOR A 200% UPSIDE (ECRL, VMY 2020 & HSR April 11, 2019
- September 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015