A New Catalyst for Stocks Through GEELY’s Imminent Investments into Proton City/Tg Malim (Calvin Tan
I am reposting News from Geely Website to See What is in Store for Some Malaysian Stocks
The takeover, which sources insist will be announced this week, will deliver Proton and sports car brand Lotus to Geely, to go along with its Swedish brand, Volvo, its recently announced Lynk&Co brand and the London Taxi Company.
DRB-Hicom asked Malaysia’s stock exchange to halt its trading yesterday, pending a major announcement, believed to be the acquisition of 51 per cent of the ailing concern by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.
Geely’s bidding battle with the Dongfeng-controlled PSA (the parent company of Peugeot and Citroen) saw DRB-Hicom shares rise to their highest point in two months, while Geely shares surged to an all-time high on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
The highest-performing stock on the Hang Seng index, with 250 per cent growth in the last 12 months, Geely took over Volvo from Ford in 2010 for $US1.5 billion.
It hasn’t been a smooth process, with Geely pulling out of the bidding process as recently as mid-April, accusing DRB-Hicom of dithering over the selection process.
“They keep changing, today it’s this, tomorrow it’s that,” said Geely chairman Li Shufu said in April. “They haven’t decided what they want.”
The glamour part of the deal gives Geely full control of Lotus Cars, the sports car operation based in Hethel, near Norwich, England, that has racked up losses for decades and has essentially been in a holding pattern since controversial former boss, Dany Bahar, was sacked in 2012.
However, sources have admitted there are other, more significant reasons why the deal makes sense for Geely.
The most important of those is access to Proton’s Tanjung Malim plant, which is barely utilised today but has a capacity of 150,000 cars a year. That plant will give Geely its first right-hand drive production capacity (outside Volvo’s Swedish operations), allowing it to access 84 countries markets that are barred to it today.
The first part of the deal would be to transfer right-hand drive production of the Lynk&Co 01 SUV to Tanjung Malim so the car could be sold in countries like Australia, the UK, Japan and South Africa.
Due to be launched in China late this year, the 01 will also be launched in Europe midway through 2018 and three other models are planned to follow by 2021.
As Malaysia is part of a free-trade ASEAN bloc, it would also allow Geely to export cars tax free to Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia, The Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
The Lotus takeover brings a surprising benefit for Geely, too. It is pursuing a plastic body-on-aluminium architecture for its London Taxi program, and nobody has more experience at bonding the two materials together than Lotus, which has used the technology effectively for the Elise and Elise-based sports cars for 20 years.
What Geely plans to do with the ailing Proton brand remains a mystery, even to senior Geely insiders, who believed the brand’s future was far from locked in. If it survives at all, it would be as the Group’s budget brand.
Its domestic market share fell from 15.3 per cent in 2015 to just 12.5 per cent in 2016, while total production fell 29 per cent last year to just 72,300 cars.
Geely itself has no such concerns, with its sales growing 63.5 per cent from the first quarter of 2016 to the same period this year, according to JATO Dynamics.
The Geely Group now ranks 13th in the world with 410,830 sales in the first quarter of the year, placing it just behind Daimler and BMW and ahead of Mazda.
It sold 330,000 cars a year before it swallowed up Volvo (which was then selling roughly the same number of cars). Combined into a Group, the two brands moved 1.3 million cars last year and it is aiming for 2.8 million by 2020, with 800,000 of those from Sweden.
Besides its nine Chinese plants, Geely also has factories in Belgium, Sweden and England and builds around 20 different models. It has design studios in Gothenburg, Sweden, Shanghai, Pasadena in California and Barcelona, Spain, employing around 500 designers.
It’s also the biggest of the Chinese outfits, outranking 15th-placed Changan (389,305 cars sold in the first quarter of the year), Great Wall in 19th and GAC in 20th.
Interestingly, while PSA ranks 10th with 682,174 cars sold in the first quarter, just ahead of Daimler and behind Suzuki in size, it is controlled by China’s Dongfeng, which sold only 239,818 cars over the same period and is the 18th biggest car-maker in the world.
But PSA and Dongfeng are also struggling to swallow the recent takeover of General Motors’ German operation, Opel, and PSA itself lost five per cent in sales so far this year.
- TAANN (5012) 10 YEARS PRICES (LOWEST & HIGHEST PRICES) EPS & DIVIDENDS FROM 2005 to 2015, From STOCK PERFORMANCE GUIDE Calvin Tan September 10, 2021
- SARAWAK OIL PALM (5126) Why is it in Calvin Tan Research’s Investment Radar? Top 5 Factors You Should Know About SOP Great Potential September 9, 2021
- TSH (9059) TSH now stands for “TELLING SECRET HAPPPILY” What Secrets? Lots of hidden potential, Calvin Tan Research May 21, 2021
- THPLANT (5112) A Look at its Grossly Undervalue Assets & Increasingly Bright Prospects, Calvin Tan Research April 21, 2021
- GREAT SUCESSFUL INVESTMENTS YEAR 2019: OGSE BULL RUN THEME; 2020 MEDICAL GLOVE SUPERBULL THEME: 2021 IS PALM OIL CPO BULL RUN THEME December 31, 2020
- LOOKS LIKE PALM OIL GOING INTO A BULL TREND DUE TO LA LINA AGAIN IN 2020/21 November 24, 2020
- AFTER MEDICAL GLOVE BULL RUN THE NEXT UPCOMING BULL THEME IS PALM OIL November 1, 2020
- 1993 WAS ASIAN TIGER BULLRUN, 2020 IS HEALTH CARE BULL RUN BY COVID 19, GLOVE, FACEMASK & NOW SANITIZER IN NYLEX & ANCOM, Calvin Tan Research May 14, 2020
- PROLEXUS (8966) ProXmask: The ProActive High Quality FACE MASK product of Prolexus that excels , Calvin Tan Research May 6, 2020
- MTAG (0213) MTAG (0231) ANOTHER GLOVES, FACE MASKS & RESPIRATORS DISTRIBUTORS, Calvin Tan Research April 27, 2020
- QUESTION & ANSWERS FOR LUXCHEM April 17, 2020
- PM’s speech on Prihatin Economic Stimulus Package (NFCP FIBERISATION IS ON!!) Calvin Tan Research March 29, 2020
- NETX (0020) INSATIABLE BUYING BY NETX STAFF SHOWS IMMENSE POTENTIAL February 14, 2020
- T7 GLOBAL VERSUS CARIMIN, , UZMA, PENERGY, & DAYANG (Compare & Contrast) Calvin Tan Research January 17, 2020
- TELEKOM TENDERS: SOME POSSIBLE WINNERS, Calvin Tan Research December 29, 2019
- BUY NETX, OPCOM, REDTONE & CMSB (SACOFA) FOR MULTI YEARS BULL RUN IN NFCP STOCKS SOON, Calvin Tan Research November 27, 2019
- T7 WINNING SUBSEA JOBS WILL BE ANOTHER PENERGY FOR TOPSIDE November 22, 2019
- NAIM FIRED UP ON ALL 4 ENGINES BUT CMSB(2852) HAS 7 SEVEN ENGINES OF GROWTH, Calvin Tan Research 22 Nov November 22, 2019
- TOP 10 REASONS WHY NETX IS NOW THE BEST BUY FOR NFCP JUST AS VELESTO WAS FOR OGSE November 17, 2019
- TOP UNDERVALUE SHARES TO BUY NOW FOR 2020 BULL RUN TIME November 16, 2019
- CMSB (2852) OWNER OF KENANGA INVESTMENT BANK , CEMENT MONOPOLY, FIBER OPTIC TOWER MONOPOLY IN SARAWAK November 12, 2019
- THIS IS NOW THE BEST TIME TO DEPLOY MONEY FULLY INTO THE COMING BULL YEAR OF 2020, Calvin Tan Research November 11, 2019
- PLEASE WHATASPP CALVIN TAN AT 019-3384010 Or 014-6101668 FOR NEXT POST November 9, 2019
- NETX MISSION STATEMENT November 9, 2019
- NETX IN CHUN CHUN INTO e-KYC October 30, 2019
- SELL UZMA. SELL CARIMIN. BUY OPCOM, REDTONE, NETX & OTHERS October 28, 2019
- 9th M’sia Plan Top Budget Allocation For Infrar Powered Up Cement So 12 MP For NFCP Powers up Opcom, Redtone & Netx, Calvin Tan October 27, 2019
- WHY IS ASIABIO BUYING ONLY NETX AND NOT DGB, MLAB, XOX, VSOLAR FINTEC & OTHERS? Calvin Tan Research October 26, 2019
- ASIAOBIO BOSS BUYING SO MUCH NETX OVER ALL OTHERS SHOW GREAT POTENTIAL, Calvin Tan Research October 26, 2019
- DIRECTORS/INSIDERS STRONG BUYING SHOWS NFCP BULL RUN VERY SOON, Calvin Tan Research October 21, 2019
- MUI PROPERTY (3913) HIGH VALUE STOCK WITH POWERFUL GROWTH CATALYST, Calvin Tan Research October 18, 2019
- TOP 10 REASONS TO BUY REDTONE (0032) BENEFICIARY OF NFCP OR NATIONWIDE FIBERISATION, Calvin Tan Research October 2, 2019
- NETX HAS A 70/30 FIGHTING CHANCE TO SURVIVE AND DO WELL IN THE DIGITAL ECONOMY, Calvin Tan Research September 25, 2019
- SCOMIES, OPCOM & NETX September 23, 2019
- SCOMI ENERGY (7045) THE HIDDEN GEM IN O&G BULL RUN September 19, 2019
- OPCOM (0035) OPTIMAL OPTIC COMPANY : THE SUPER-STOCK OF THE DIGITAL ECONOMY, Calvin Tan Research September 16, 2019
- BUY UZMA (7250) AT 62 SEN. TARGET PRICE RM1.20 August 12, 2019
- BUY TA ENTERPRIZE FOR ITS 4.1 SEN DIVIDEND (ABOUT 6% YIELD WHICH IS TWICE THAT OF BANK FD RATE) June 15, 2019
- LAFARGE CEMENT UP 100% FROM RM2.25 TO RM4.50 TODAY. TIME TO BUY MASTEEL (5098) AS IT IS A LAGGARD June 14, 2019
- TESTIMONY OF YTL TO THE POWER OF PROVIDENCE June 8, 2019
- DOLOMITE(5835) UP 143% DUE TO ASSET SALE WILL ASB(1481) GO UP LIKEWISE BY ASSET SALE? June 7, 2019
- INVESTMENT NEWS FOR JUNE 2019 BY EAGLE VISION June 6, 2019
- A LOOK AT PETRONAS LATEST GOOD QUARTER RESULT OF 9% EARNINGS GROWTH, Calvin Tan Research June 1, 2019
- OIL & GAS BULL PAUSE. AFTER THIS POOR QUARTER RESULT DUE TO MONSOON O&G BULL RUN WILL RESUME, Calvin Tan Research May 26, 2019
- UZMA (7250) UTTERLY ZEALOUS MASTERING ALL. THE OnG LAGGARD WITH BEST POTENTIAL, Calvin Tan Research May 10, 2019
- (PART ONE) KUMPULAN PERANGSANG SELANGOR (5843) KUMPULAN PROACTIVELY SUPERCHARGED, Calvin Tan Research April 25, 2019
- THESE FIVE STOCKS MIGHT BENEFIT FROM ECRL SOUTH: Mui Prop, AsiaPac, MKH, L&G & Olympia, Calvin Tan Research April 17, 2019
- MKH (6114) METRO KAJANG WILL BENEFIT FROM ECRL REROUTE TO BANGI/KAJANG, Calvin Tan Research April 15, 2019
- IMAGO MALL OF ASIAPAC (4057) ECRL SIGNING WILL BRING BACK CHINA TOURISTS, Calvin Tan April 15, 2019
- ASIAPAC (4057) THREE CHUN CHUN BULL TARGETS FOR A 200% UPSIDE (ECRL, VMY 2020 & HSR April 11, 2019
- September 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015